Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1995 10:21:57
>    I run an NCR but lately I had to down the machine and hang the
>    drives onto an Adaptec-Controller because the
>
> 	   NCR doesn't scan and remap bad blocks.
>
> Are you referring to the `verification' utility in the BIOS?  There's
> certainly no facility in either host adapter to do remapping at run
> time; it's the responsibility of either the device or the driver to do
> that.

Yes I'm refering to the verification utility in the BIOS. I needed
one lately when I filled my home-partition up so far that I reached
some faulty sectors, NetBSD would still run fine, but I couldn't
get rid of the bad sectors and of course reading the file didn't
work. Eventually I downed the machine, and to the drives and connected
them to our Novell-PCI-Adaptec and veryfied it there. Since then
those bad sectors have disappeered, and I was even able to use most
of the file they were in. (Part of the 35mb WP 6.0 demo.)

Cheerio
PS: I'm not saying that the remapping isn't on by default in the
Kernel but remapping should only work if the drive still knows what was
written on the faulty sectors, In may case the drive hadn't used
that part of the disk in ages and wouldn't have been able to remap
it anyway. In these cases one needs the possibility of forcing
remapping.

--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"