Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: None <perry@imsi.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1995 16:14:15
> > And many devices have it disabled by default and as shipped.  If you
> > want the drive to remap on write failures or after read retries turn
> > on AWRE and ARRE in mode page 1.  You can lift the code from FreeBSD
> > sbin/scsi and lib/libscsi or write a utility using the user mode scsi
> > ioctl.
> It should be on by default in NetBSD.

It isn't NetBSD's job to make it on by default; these are internal drive
firmware flags.  (NetBSD's driver *could*, in principle, always issue a
MODE SELECT to force them on, but I'd personally prefer that the driver
not mess with my disks unless I ask it to...)

> Since it apparently isn't at the
> moment, does anyone have a utility that does what was just described?

Well, apparently FreeBSD has one.  :-)

While I'm thinking of it, does the FreeBSD scsi utility, or any other
SCSI utility, offer the ability to reformat drives with 1KB sectors?
(Assuming it's even possible; I have one drive that appears to have that
specifically disabled, probably because of DOS which insists on microscopic
sectors...)