Subject: Re: ftp performance with netbsd ?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.blrc.ma.us>
From: David Maxwell <david@spinne.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1995 16:16:36

> You're probably running afoul of RFC 1323 fat/wide TCP options, which
> don't seem to like thin pipes very much.

This ftp discussion came up at a useful time. Just last night I was trying
to ftp a large (3+ Meg) file over a PPP connection.

my box i486-66 Netbsd-current (May 20th or so) + 16550 and Supra 14.4 modem
their box Livingston Portmaster + Xycel modem

I was tranferring the file from a SunOs 4.1.3 box on the ethernet local to
the Portmaster, and it would transfer quickly at first, then get slower and
slower (watching lights on the external modem I could count dozens of
seconds between packet bursts.) and finally die.

I thought perhaps it could be a bad character combination killing the
connection, so I gziped the file and tried again. Same results.

It wasn't the PPP connection itself, since I was reading news in another
Xterm and the response was pretty good.

Last ditch effort, I uuencoded the file. It tranferred fine.

Except for the last transfer, I tried all my tests both pushing and pulling,
netbsd client/sunos server and netbsd server/sunos client.

Any ideas?

							David Maxwell
							david@web.net