Subject: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry G. Juengst, ISKP, Bonn <juengst@saph1.physik.uni-bonn.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1995 14:26:17
I have some troubles with a PCI i586 board, two VGA cards and the memory.
May be somebody can help.

Hardware:
ASUS TP54(sp?) PCI/ISA board, i586 100 MHz (shadow disabled)
NCR *810 SCSI controller (Adaptec 2940 later;-)
32 Mbyte RAM
VGA; Genoa Hornet II (PCI, 1 Mbyte), ET4000 (ISA, 1Mbyte)

OS:
NetBSD-current i386 23. May 1995, with option INSECURE, pc0 console device
 (I will try to update next weekend)
XFree86-3.1.1

First problem:
I had to set the BIOS option '15M-16M memory hole'. Setting this option
ENABLEd NetBSD will only find 15 Mbyte RAM, but it works. Of course, I
would like to set this option DISABLEd, but then NetBSD will not start
running after 'changing root device...'. Looks like the old DMA problem
for me. Correct? Is the DMA controller on a PCI board able to handle more
than 16 Mbyte (I don't have any documents about PCI) ? Will there be a
solution in the future for NetBSD ?

Second problem:
The X server (XF86_SVGA) can only find 64 Kbyte on the Genoa card, but the
card has 1 Mbyte. VGA16 works... :-( Does anybody know how to manage the
memory mapping for this card (XFconfig, source code) ?

Another card, an old ET4000 (ISA), which worked fine on an i386 board,
will be misconfigured during NetBSD kernel configuration. The kernel config
file includes only the devices which are onboard. Each probe is ok.
The last message which was written is 'fd0...'. There were made some
screen scrolls on the sceen before this message was printed and everything
lookes good. The next messages is 'root device eisa not configured', which
was not printed at the right position on screen. The old text (fd0... etc.)
is still at its old position on screen and it keeps there permanently, even
after a tput clear. X presents the same problem. I have removed the eisa
config_rootfound call in /sys/arch/i386/i386/autoconf.c yet, but it didn't
help. Does anybody have a good idea ?

Both cards are working with MessiDOS, but I can't see that anymore. :-|

Thanks in advance.

Henry