Subject: Re: Timezones
To: None <apollo@wilma.enigma.net, tmm@mcci.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1995 14:38:09
> However, you will want to set the TIMEZONE option in the kernel in case you want
> your PC's clock to run on local time, and local time isn't PDT/PST.  Otherwise,
> your PC's clock has to run on PDT/PST, which is confusing in its own way.
> --Terry

How does the kernal DST option come into this? I noticed a difference
between 1.0 and -current. 1.0 is configured with

timezone        -1 dst

and -current with

options         TIMEZONE=-60    # time zone to adjust RTC time by
options         DST=1           # daylight savings time used by RTC

/etc/localtime is linked to MET.

I find that the comment after DST=1 isn't really helpful, and the
resulting kernel's time as reported by 'date' is off by 1 hour, (I keep
forgetting to check in which direction) while the 1.0 kernel is ok. It
also made the switch to dst correctly; I am not sure about the -current
one since I only run it on a trial basis for short periods.

-Olaf.
--
HAVE *YOU* EXPORTED A CRYPTO SYSTEM TODAY? --> http://dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/x.html