Subject: Re: for , re XView
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.weru.ksu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/1995 04:35:05
#ifdef ANNOYED_READER

/* I apologize for:
   1> posting to both port-i386 and current-users, but this is a reply to
      a post in current-users (and felt that this followup should at least
      ping that group for redirection.)

   2> bringing up a i386-specific item in current-users, same reason as <1>
*/

#endif

#define FOLLOWUP_MAIL = "port-i386@netbsd.org" /* if you wish to continue
                                                  on this conversation */

Verily did John Kohl write:

> Subject: Re: Your XVIEW Port.

> The XView stuff should work fine under an X11R6 server, and with X11R6
> libraries (I think that's how I compiled it last time around).

I tried to compile the xview v3.2p1 earlier this month, and ran into
nothing but problems.

Then I decided to grab the FreeBSD patch-set and installed that (renaming
everything "FreeBSD" to "NetBSD" of course).  Still nothing but problems.

One of the problems that I was having was that __NetBSD__ was getting
undefined (pre-processor things were sifting out code that had
#ifdef __NetBSD__ in it and was acting on the trailing #else information).

I have grabbed the xview pre-compiled bins off of ftp.netbsd.org, but
haven't installed them yet (I want to compile this on -current).

If the person(s) who compiled this on NetBSD/i386 is reading this list,
I would be very much interested in getting a diff-set from you.

If someone else has anything that could shed light on what might be
causing this, I'd be happy to entertain e-mail.

(again, please redirect followups to this to port-i386@netbsd.org)

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://www.ksu.edu/~windsor/

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'