Subject: Re: random core dumps when compiling...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1995 11:14:42
Hi

Mark Steven Tamola wrote:

> dear all,
>
> i have been having this problem ever since i upgraded to current, and i
> haven't the slightest idea why.  for some reason, whenever i try to
> compile something on my netbsd-current/i386 as of may 5, '95, i get
> random error code 139's and sig 11's every time.  it also happens when
> there is a large amount of disk activity.  for example, whenever i try to
> rebuild my whole system from source, i continually have to keep typing
> "make" amidst all the sig 11's, until the compilation is finally done.
> it is quite annoying at best.
>
> i attribute this to my cyrix processor.  i have tried turning the
> internal cache off, but i still get the core dumps.  under
> netbsd-1.0/i386, the random core dumps would only happen if i had the
> DUMMY_NOPS option in the kernel, but under -current, i now get the core
> dumps all the time.
>
> has anyone out there with a cyrix processor had the same problems?  i
> don't want to move back to -1.0 as i really enjoy the new stuff in
> -current.  can anyone sympathize with me?  am i forced to fork out the
> dough to by a new motherboard?
>
> thanks for any help or suggestions for my problems.
>
> sincerely,
>
> -m

I know this might seem strange, but try and flip the jumper on your board
to tell it you have an INTEL (or INTEL/AMD) processor... my girlfriend's
box with NetBSD-current on it got so stable I could build a kernel without
sitting infront of the box all the time. Her box is still running the SAME
kernel and binaries I put on BEFORE trying to build a kernel (I've got the
kernel with the CYRIX_CACHE_WORKS and CYRIX_CACHE_REALLY_WORKS lines take
OUT of the config on standby now incase the box acts up - but so far
nothing)

YMMV
et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB