Subject: Re: reading from named pipes
To: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Jeffrey Russell Horner <jhorner@cs.utk.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1995 20:27:14

> >    I have two processes reading from the same named pipe.
> >    The output written to the pipe seems to get evenly split
> >    between the two processes.
> >
> > The wakeup queue is equivalent to a simple round-robin scheduler.  One
> > process is going to complete a read() and then get stuck back at the
> > end of the queue.
> >
> >    Feature or bug?
> >
> > More importantly, why is it an issue?
>
> I have two processes reading from the same pipe. I would like
> them to each be getting the same information.

    I'm reading about this subject right now. It's in the book:
    	Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
    	by W. Richard Stevens.

    it's very useful. It says to FIFO's for non-linear connections of
    processes. I can't get into the nitty gritty of this since I'm pretty
    new to the subject, but try getting the book.

	I hope this helps.

 Jeffrey Russell Horner   jhorner@cs.utk.edu
 Lab Assistant, Computer Science Department
 University of Tennessee, Knoxville