Subject: xforms interface to audio mixer available for testing
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.blrc.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/1995 19:22:37
I've put a copy of the source to a mixer I've been working on for the
audio interface into:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/src/xmixer.tar.gz

You need xforms to build it; you can get xforms for i386 at:

	ftp://bloch.phys.uwm.edu/pub/xforms/netBSD/bxform.tgz

(The XForms library is currently only binary, and for NetBSD only
available on i386.  If you talk to the authors, maybe they can build it
for some other platform for you).

I plan on some more minor enhancements to this mixer--I'll gladly take
suggestions.

Known problems:
	* lots of popping & crackling, since it has to open and close
	/dev/sound all the time (otherwise you can't do any audio I/O
	while the mixer is open, which is a worse annoyance)
	* only tested on SoundBlaster Pro--I'd love to see if it works
	on other cards
	* setting of allowable encodings is kind of bogus now--needs to
	use AUDIO_GETENC
	* form always pops up in same place, has no application class,
	etc. (could use AUDIO_GETDEV for title, etc)
	* error messages are quite bad--should use alerts, etc.

==John