Subject: Re: Linux ip codeReply-to: (fwd)
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1995 01:17:43
> Judging from that code segment that Greg showed, it seems that the
> Linux networking guy's idea of "BSD UDP error semantics" was that
> _nothing_ got returned.

No, it merely checked that the socket was connected.  (The use of the
constant TCP_CONNECTION_ESTABLISHED for that is a bit fishy, but hey,
it's Linux.)

> I am amused by the comment that said (paraphrased) "BSD error
> semantics caused DNS queries to dead nameservers to slow down", when
> there is code in the BIND client code that specifically does a
> connect on a UDP socket when only one nameserver is being queried.

This wasn't in the version of the name resolution code that I've done
work on (borrowed from some version of the NetBSD C library), and
Alan's comment probably predates the most recentrelease of BIND.