Subject: Re: NFS over PPP and packet fragments
To: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/1995 07:01:00
Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>  wrote:
 > I have been struggling to find the reason that my PPP link
 > locks up about every 6-12 hours with "no buffer space" messages.

Just as a data-point:

My PPP link has been up since Apr 03/95 and I've had no problems with it.

I'm running NetBSD/hp300 on an hp380 with the standard serial driver and
the other end of my link is a Cisco of some ilk.

'Course I'm not running NFS so this might be wholly non-useful.

ip:
        2739574 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        25966 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        0 fragments dropped after timeout
        4783 packets reassembled ok
        2689944 packets for this host
        7015 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        21421 packets forwarded
        5 packets not forwardable
        0 redirects sent
        2915547 packets sent from this host
        223 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        9 output packets discarded due to no route
        185198 output datagrams fragmented
        644913 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented