Subject: Re: config & config.new vice config.old & config
To: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1995 00:50:31
> Or such is my understanding: that you cannot use config.new on a kernel
> designed to be configured with config, and vice versa.  If I'm wrong,
> I'm sure someone who does know the truth will cheerfully correct me!

that's right.

> If this is so, then, config is "being phased out" only in the sense
> that more and more ports are being converted to config.new, and new
> ports should probably use it.

No, it's being phased out in the sense that port maintainers for ports
that use 'config' are _strongly_ encouraged to convert their ports to
'config.new', and _no_ new ports that use 'config' are being allowed
into the source tree.

As it is now, there are only two ports (hp300 and pmax) that _don't_
use config.new, and there are plans to convert the pmax.  Once the
pmax is converted (or perhaps earlier), config.new will be renamed to
config, and config will be renamed to config.old.

cgd