Subject: Re: Ethernet Card preformace for firewall
To: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
From: None <tholo@toad.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1995 16:12:42
> The fastest cards I've been using for NetBSd so far is the WD8013 cards,
> but since these are ISA cards I was wondering if PCI cards won't handle
> the bandwidth better. I remember reading somewhere some data on ethernet
> cards and bus bandwidth and ISA used 46% per card and EISA 15% - since
> EISA ethernet is not supported PCI comes to mind.

Uh...  I am using an EISA ethernet card in my machine without any problems.
It is the 3COM 579, EtherLink III.

> Another factor is going to be processor speed, I know the faster the
> better - but its going to hit my budget limit before any other limits!
> So the question: Will a DX2/66 be able to cope? Considering that this
> machine will ONLY be doing this one task - for now ;-)

It should be more than enough if it does little or nothing else.  And a
firewall machine should not do anything but being a firewall.

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Lockert        | postmaster@sigmasoft.com | Universe, n.:
1262 Golden Gate Avenue | hostmaster@sigmasoft.com |         The problem.