Subject: Re: A shell gotcha
To: Aleksi Suhonen <ams@lenkkari.cs.tut.fi>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/1995 22:15:08
Aleksi Suhonen said something not totally unlike...

  |In message 199504151750.NAA02928@jfwhome.funhouse.com  "John F. Woods" told
  |}-The obvious solution was to figure out how to arrange for the .aliases
  |}-file not to make /bin/sh choke.  After many false starts, I discovered
  |}-that pdksh defines an environment variable "KSH_VERSION", which makes
  |}-a handy test for which shell is running the script.  (The ksh syntax
  |}-has to be kept out of the file, so I "dot" the ksh specific stuff.)
  |}-It turns out that zsh (what I'd been using for a while) also defines a
  |}-version variable ("ZSH_VERSION"), making a three-way split easy to
  |}-arrange.  For csh fans, tcsh defines a "version" variable.
  |
  |Actually Older versions of zsh used an entirely different variable
  |for version. (But I don't remember which one ... :(   )

A bit offtrack here but I just found a command that'll kill csh that comes
with SunOS 4 & 5 and was wondering if it does the same on NetBSD and see
if anyone has reasons for it or a way to patch or avoid it aside from not
doing it.

% !xxx%s%s%s%s%s%s
Segmentation fault

BTW, I don't have NetBSD up and running right now so that's why I'm asking.

--
Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg                I'm not mental...
SAIC UNIX/Netware Computer Type Guy       I'm just on higher philosophical