Subject: SMC Elite 16C Ultra funfunfun
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: alphaepsilon <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1995 16:10:07
I feel stupid! I posted earlier about a bug with my SMC card giving
the "NIC Memory Corrupt" error with the current kernel.  Actually it's
the same bug as was in 1.0.  I just wasn't paying attention to the new
kernel config files...

I didn't notice that the line:
"fd?     at fdc? drive ?"
configures multiple floppy drive drivers...like fd0, fd1, etc.

Actually if "fd?" even configures up to fd2, etc, then this will break
current for everyone who has the SMC Elite16C Ultras, and not just for
people with one floppy drive.  This is the same bug I posted about 1.0
in which the fd<n> drivers that can't find a floppy drive grab the
ethernet card and mess it up.

So you just need to specify the floppy drivers one by one like:
"fd0     at fdc? drive ?"

Wheee!

(This bug is soooo bizarre... if anyone wants a machine to play around
with that exhibits this bug and is at MIT, you are welcome to come up
and futz with mine, though I can't let it get too futzed ;) )

Alexandra Ellwood
(aellwood@mit.edu)