Subject: Re: Boot from CD-ROM
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Maxwell <david@spinne.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1995 13:25:25
> thorpej@nas.nasa.gov (Jason R. Thorpe) wrote:
>
> On Wed, 12 Apr 1995 21:46:44 +0200
>  markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Markus Illenseer) wrote:
>
>  >  Still. I don't know how to *boot* from the CD-ROM. The bootstraploader
>  > only seems to accept UFS but nor cd9660 as FS. Also the 2048Bytes/Block
>  > buggers me even if I would use a hack  of UFS and cd9660 in the same image.
>
> Ummm...maybe I'm missing something...but *where* are you going to put
> bootblocks?  I thought we already figured out that we can't have N
> partitions on the CD, where N is the number of working ports...

This depends on the architechture also. While some of the newer *nix boxes
will check for a CD-Rom and attempt to boot from it, and while some of the
non-*nix boxes (Amiga comes to mind) can be told to, some just won't.

I've never seen an i386 type box booted off a CD, not to say that it can't
be done, just that the way CD-Rom drives are installed on Intel boxes
doesn't lend itself to this sort of thing.

I think that for some of the ports you may be better off supplying a 'native'
filesystem that can be installed from, rather than trying to be bootable for
everyone.

							David Maxwell
							david@web.net