Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: Aleksi Suhonen <ams@lenkkari.cs.tut.fi>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1995 22:46:23
On Wed, 12 Apr 1995 15:51:47 +0200
 Aleksi Suhonen <ams@lenkkari.cs.tut.fi> wrote:

 > }-Yeah...checking a flag before every operation would be yucky.  Perhaps,
 > }-however, you could mount it as `ufs' and if it detects the need to
 > }-byte-swap, it `automagically' changes the mount to the other type...for
 > }-transparency's sake...(shows up in mount list as other type...)
 >
 > }-I dunno -- just throwing around ideas...

Well, the context of my above statement was a discussion about
byte-swapping in FFS, but... :-)

 > Here's another idea: Access Control Lists (acls)
 > as implemented in HP-UX. Would there be any legal
 > issues to consider about?

IMHO, HP-UX acls are yucky and evil.  Almost as bad as HP-UX context
dependant files.

As far as legal issues, I'd imagine that as long as any implementation is
free of encumbered code, it'd be kosher, but I *really* hope that
something like the file acls or cdfs never make it into the tree...

*shudder*

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939