Subject: Re: Boot from CD-ROM
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1995 08:54:04
> > What about the namei hack where you symlink /usr/bin -> /usr/@sys/bin
> > and namei expands @sys into 'i386' or whatever?  It works for Lites.
> Good luck... this has been proposed before without a warm reception.

No doubt.  Personally, I'm allergic to namei hacks like this; if you're
going to throw away the simple rule "a file name is a bunch of characters
not including / and NUL", you might as well go to abominations like
DSK0:[USR.BIN]SAVAGEME.EXE...  (I also happen to *use* filenames with a
leading @; what happens if I want to make a symlink to one of them?)

While you might try to reserve "@sys" alone and leave the rest of the
users' name space alone, you'll eventually get pressure to add another
feature (which you'll look silly rejecting given the first one), then
another, then another, until namei() becomes this giant bloated macro
preprocessor which also does filename lookups as a hobby.