Subject: Re: Fat binaries
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1995 13:56:22
>>> Another idea that was muted many moons ago was to get the exec call
>>> to recognise the AR format files.  It would look in the archive [...]
>> Unless the archive is very carefully constructed, though, it would
>> [have problems], since page boundaries in the executable won't in
>> general be aligned on page boundaries on disk.
> It is trivial to 'very carefully construct' a binary with the proper
> format to have it be demand pageable.

Um.  I suppose what I meant was that if you use ar format, you should
be able to use ar as the tool to create and manipulate the things.
Which isn't really possible given the necessary alignment constraints
and the current design of ar.  I'm not sure whether I'd prefer adding
an option to ar to make it suitable or creating a similar format with
better alignment promises.

I do notice that this means that all ports have to know the largest
pagesize of any port...or at least of any port which can appear in fat
binaries.

> In fact, once i get around to reworking execve() one more time,

Chris, do you do _anything_ besides hack NetBSD? :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu