Subject: Re: Boot from CD-ROM
To: Gordon Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1995 09:54:24
> Another way to make a multi-architecture CDROM is to just put each
> architecture in a separate top-level directory and use a loopback
> mount to make the appropriate one appear as root at runtime.
> This lets the entire CDROM use the standard iso9660 format.

I've thought about this; there's a chicken and egg problem here.

Consider the dialogue:

Q:	"how do you access the right architecture's binaries easily?"

A:	"mount them via loopback on the top of the file system tree."

of course, that begs the questions:

"how do you invoke the right copy of the mount program, to do the mount?"

"how do you invoke the right copy of the shell?"

and

"how do you invoke the right copy of init?"

yeah, you could hack the kernel.  or prompt.  however, the latter's
not very nice if you want to be able to have a "one big button"
install program.  8-)

chris