Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: Alex R.N. Wetmore <aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1995 17:03:02
> > > 1. fat binaries
> >
> > What's a fat binary?
>
> A binary with text segments for multiple system types and one data
> segment which is shared among all of the system types.  NextStep uses
> them to get the same binaries to work on the 68000 and x86.

MacOS does this for m68k and powerpc binaries too.

I feel that the fat binary concept doesn't scale well beyond two
architectures, and NetBSD currently has 7 (i386, m68k4k, m68k8k,
sparc, mips, ns32k, alpha) with more on the way.  And to support this
well, you would need cross toolchains for each target (not a bad idea
in general, but I wouldn't want to ship them by default).

Plus, at the present time gcc does handle 64 x 32 (ie alpha x
anything) configurations very well.  However, this should be better
with gcc 2.7.X.

	--jtc