Subject: Re: Boot from CD-ROM
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Brad Midgley <junkmail@pht.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1995 16:55:31
Hello guys,

I think it would also be great to have the installation optionally allow
you to union-mount a writable file system over the CDROM once you've
finished the installation.  It would be a great way to test-drive the
system.  (if you're worried about performace, touch some of the files in
the union mount so they are stored in the upper layer).

I work at a cdrom maker and I would really like to see a great NetBSD
release on CD so systems like linux and freebsd couldn't claim all the
limelight.  In fact, I'm sure I could get my employer to throw some
significant resources at the project if I got direct involvement with
some of the developers.

Another issue... can/will NetBSD support "fat" binaries like NeXTStep
does (one binary which contains forks with code for different CPU types)?
That would make a platform-independent installation cdrom and "live"
filesystem on cdrom a much simpler and more effective way to get NetBSD
some great positive exposure.

brad
brad@pht.com