Subject: Re: Make SATAN with freebsd config?
To: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
From: Christopher Klaus <cklaus@iss.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1995 13:15:47

> Just a quick note.  I've spent the entire morning going through the Satan
> docs, files, srcs, and whatnot.  Basically, it's nothing more than a
> glorified ISS (Internet Security Scanner) that uses a web browser as it's
> GUI.
>
> As far as it's capability to run on *BSD, so long as you have libpcap 0.0,
> tcpdump 3.0, perl 5.xxxx, and a working gui web browser, I don't see why
> it wouldn't.
>
> I am disappointed with the whole satan business.  Sorry folks, no bells,
> whistles, or firecrackers.  It's just a gui.  :)

I'd like to point out that I released ISS 1.3 which fixed a major bug
that caused it to scan unspecified networks due to the small endians
flipping the byte order of addresses.

If someone would want to port ISS 1.3 to NetBSD, that would be great and
I'd stick the port in /pub/iss/ports, where other ports have been made.

It is available on ftp iss.net /pub/iss/

--
Christopher William Klaus	Voice: (404)441-2531. Fax: (404)441-2431
Internet Security Systems, Inc.		Computer Security Consulting