Subject: Re: Questions about features of NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1995 13:02:18
> I want to know if there is/will be/is anybody working on the
> following things for NetBSD:

Mostly, I don't know.  But a couple of things come to mind.

> 1. fat binaries

What's a fat binary?

> 3. machine independent console driver for isa graphicscards

How can such a thing exist?  Graphics hardware is _always_ machine
dependent.  True, NetBSD does not run everywhere.  But I don't believe
a graphics card exists that will work on, to pick just three of the
platforms NetBSD runs on, a Sun SPARC, an 'x86 clone, and a DEC Alpha.

You did say "isa".  If you mean the bus used in many x86 family
machines, you should probably take it to port-i386 rather than
current-users.  Machine independence is relative; in the context of
current-users, nothing x86-specific can be machine independent.

> 7. possibility to use i386 formatted hds on 68k and the other way
>    round, this needs removing of including machine dependent
>    disklabel.h in platform independent disklabel.h as far as i
>    understand,not?

Extremely unlikely to happen, because it is bound to break
compatability with native OS disk labels on most platforms.  For
example, NetBSD/sparc uses SunOS-compatible disk labels, but a pack
with an fdisk-style partition table on it for NetBSD/i386 will perforce
not have a valid SunOS disk label for NetBSD/sparc.  You would have to
special-case every port to know about every other port's disk labeling
schemes.

Or at least, such is my understanding.  Perhaps there are few enough
disk labeling schemes out there that this isn't out of the question.

Of course, you would then have to byteswap a lot of filesystem data
structures as they are read off and written onto the pack.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu