Subject: Re: mixer?
To: Brandon Reed <reed@reedb.rhn.orst.edu>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1995 18:36:01
Hi,

on Mon, 10 Apr 1995 02:15:41 +0200 Brandon Reed wrote
concerning "Re: mixer?" something like this:

> Can anyone tell me what I can do to the mixer device once I've got it?

Sure :) You can open it and use ioctl to set values.

> ie: can I do something like:
> echo volume=50 > /dev/mixer ??
> It makes sense to me.

No, you can't. And although it might be quite nice, I don't think we would
like to have code for parsing this stuff inside the kernel. It really isn't
that hard to write C code to do that stuff.

> I tried the "GROSS audio tools" that were posted a while back
> but when I try:
> audioplay /dev/audio < /tmp/byte.au
> it hangs the device [...]

Hmmm cat /tmp/byte.au >/dev/audio works fine for me. But that audio code is
quite new. Maybe your tools need some porting?

On the other hand, the fact that you couldn't kill the play process suggests
some other, more severe, error.

Bye, Rolf