Subject: Re: printer
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James MacKinnon <jmack@Phys.UAlberta.Ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1995 10:43:40
On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Don Lewis wrote:

> On Apr 7,  1:28pm, "Tom T. Thai" wrote:
> } Subject: Re: printer
> } On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Tom W. Cutter wrote:
> }
> } > Tom,
> } > Are you using the serial, parallel, or network interface?
> }
> } parallel.  HPLJ4mp.  Got lpfilter from "Simon J. Gerraty"
> } <sjg@zen.void.oz.au> and it works for text files.  Thanks Simon.  But now
> } I would like to print from NetScape or others with bitmap files.  Didn't
> } work.

There is a great little filter called 'magicfilter' which I have running
on our Linux boxen, but which should also be made to compile on BSD
machines. I'd suggest looking for it (I can't remember the exact ftp site,
but it should be noted in comp.os.linux.announce or others, and on any
of the linux archive sites), and compiling the source for your machine.
It was written by Peter.Anvin@linux.org, and the revision I have is
magicfilter-1.1a. It is also GNU, and should work on any U*IX with lpd.

Also get ghostview and ghostscript. The translator will run gs in batch
mode to do the conversion, and pipe the output to the print symbiont.

Netscape typically spits out postscript. This magicfilter uses gs to
translate the ps file into any number of printer formats (there are about
40 printers that it supports).

I currently use it to do ps -> SIXEL translation to an LN03 we have. It was
a great way to ressurrect that old baby which used to be on our VAX11/780
(now in computer heaven).

Cheers,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Department of Physics        Voice : (403) 492-8226