Subject: Re: Make SATAN with freebsd config?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1995 16:36:10
>>     Anybody know if configuring SATAN, the OJ Simpson story of the
>>     networking biz, using the freebsd config will work properly under
>>     NetBSD?
>
> [Other folks' comments]

One thing I noticed as a sidelight of examining SATAN output is that, on
SunOS at least, the "rsh" test does a

	su bin -c "rsh -n <targethost> file /bin/sh"

to check and see if the other host has the SATAN-running host in hosts.equiv.

On NetBSD this wouldn't work because "bin"'s login shell is "/dev/null":

netbsd4me# su bin -c "rsh -n <otherhost> file /bin/sh"
su: /dev/null not found.

So the test wouldn't really get done.  Now I haven't actually tried to
build/run SATAN on NetBSD, so I'm not sure if this would get taken care of
by the configuration setup; but I suspect not, because "user=bin" seems to
be hardwired into the shell script, rather than it being substituted.

Dunno if there might be any other NetBSD-isms like this at work with SATAN.

	- Greg