Subject: Re: cdrom newfs
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Creed Erickson <creed@comet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1995 19:00:40
On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, John F. Woods wrote:

> [...]
> That makes the question really "should the iso9660 filesystem code
> learn how to write iso9660 images?"  I don't know how hard this would
> be, but it is likely to be of limited interest -- ...

ISO9660 was designed to be intrinsically read-only. As I recall, there is
no allocation tracking capability incorporated into the file system, i.e.,
no bitmap, FAT, or superblock to tell you where available space can be
found. It's just assumed that all space is allocated.

---
Creed Erickson                                            creed@comet.com
Livermore, CA 94550-5822                                   CreedE@aol.com
USA                                                Voice: +1 510 373 7615