Subject: Re: cdrom newfs
To: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@hulk.sfsu.edu>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1995 13:36:33
On Mar 30,  6:18pm, "Jonathan O'Brien" wrote:
> About 4.5k for a yamaha 4x burner. The kodak 6x one's are still up in the
> 20k range. You should be able to pick up an old philips CDD-521 for a
> reasonable price. Wasn't there an article in one of the trade rags about a
> $500 el cheap-o solution coming out in about 6 months?

 Street prices are already below that - about time. For personal use all this
is a hype :)

[...]
> On a Young Minds CD-Studio (it's a pc that sits between the burner and
> the host because burning a CD-R requires a constant data stream) it
> shows up as a tape drive, and the older ones have limits of 32k blocks.
> So 'dd if=myimage of=/dev/rst0 bs=32k'. Then it's just 'mt -f /dev/rst1
> fsf 1' and away it burns.

 Interesting. I don't understand why the 'mt' is required, where is the data,
written by 'dd', written to? A cache which has to be flushed? Or is that mt
just to end the session?

> A utility to verify the meta-data would be nice. The process of burning a
> CD-R can often produce a questionable master that you'd want to
> thoroughly check before you sent it off for duplication.

 Yes, but for that purpose a 'fsck' is not what you want. What you want is
a compare - can be done with normal applications - of the two trees or
a simple checker which tests all the files on the CD-R if they still are
compliant to the Extensions...

--
Markus Illenseer