Subject: Re: cdrom newfs
To: Brad Midgley <brad@pht.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1995 20:24:15
On Mar 30, 10:44am, Brad Midgley wrote:
> What is the bug?  I've used it under linux (intel) quite a lot (!)

 Exactly this is the problem - everyone seems to use mkisfs on little-endian
systems. mkisofs on my Amiga (high-endian) definitely requires additional
patches. Both, gcc and mkisofs-source have some bugs which results in unusuable
images. The rockridge extensions are written at a wrong offset, so that the
resulting image does not seem to have them.

> I would really be interested to know definitively how to use a CDR
> to burn a disk under unix.

 Me, too :-) But I really believe that it is that simple as I wrote...

> > > a fsck fore iso-9660 (+rockridge) would also very nice :-)
> >  A what? You dont want that.
>
> isovfy (comes with mkisofs) does some verification of the image.  It
> won't try to fix it of course (that's why Markus is questioning your
> request).

 As written in the other mail, ISO-9660 is not intended to function as writable
filesystem, therefor you only can use 'offline' tools to create and check it.

 Unfortunately it seems that even isovfy is not capable to check the images
correctly - on al platforms this time.

--
Markus Illenseer