Subject: Re: misc/908: Comments after DEFINES
To: None <rob.leland@freetocreate.cais.com>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1995 04:07:46
Hi,

on Sun, 26 Mar 1995 09:50:06 +0200 rob.leland wrote
concerning "misc/908: Comments after DEFINES " something like this:

> I have found that in practice a line like
> #define SEG_VALUE  20 /* This is a SEG_VALUE */

> can introduce bugs if a programmer gets sloppy and /* comments */
> out code, which is not recommended.

I can't see the problem with that. You should use #if 0 or #ifdef notdef
to comment out code.

> The use of
> #define SEG_VALUE 20 //A C++ type commment is better.

No, it is certainly not. It's not backwards compatible with older compilers
and would make bootstrapping new ports unnecessarily hard.

> and
> 		/* SEG_VALUE This is a SEG_VALUE */
> #define SEG_VALUE 20

> Is more portable, but more verbose but more error proof.

What is the advantage of this vs. the above (initial) one?

Sorry, I can't follow your reasoning.
	Rolf