Subject: Re: badsect work?
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/1995 01:25:50
> > gabriella# badsect BAD 181550
> > /dev/wd0g: Device busy
>
> my take on this is that:
> 	(1) you're running badsect with the partition mounted,
> 	(2) badsect is trying to use the block partition to do its operation.
>
> I'd say that (given what badsect does) you shouldn't run it on a on a
> mounted file system/disk, and you should definitely fsck the affected
> partition afterwards.

Well, to quote the man page:

     Badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount
     the file system, and change to its root directory.  Make a directory BAD
     there.  Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all
     the bad sectors you wish to add.

I don't think anyone has used badsect in quite a while (because
of exactly the problem quoted above).

	-- Lennart