Subject: disklabel fails for SCSI drives
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1995 08:44:06
I can't seem to get NetBSD/i386 1.0A to write to the disklabel of a
SCSI disk anymore.  Floppies still work.

I used "disklabel -w -r sd2 hp_mo" under 1.0A and it fails to install
a label on new media.  It does not seem to damage existing lables in
the effort though.

I booted 1.0 from floppies and it works.

I used "newfs /dev/rsd2a hp_mo" under 1.0A and it fails to update the
disklabel after creating the filesystem.

Again 1.0 succeeded.

Also this sequence occurs:

(system freshly booted)
pluto# disklabel sd0
[...expected output is correct...]
pluto# disklabel -w sd0 quantum
disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Label magic number or checksum is wrong!
(disklabel or kernel is out of date?)
pluto# disklabel sd0
disklabel: can't read master boot record: Undefined error: 0
pluto#  disklabel -w sd0 quantum
disklabel: can't read master boot record: Undefined error: 0

I must reboot to clear this error.

Do other people get this too?  Is this a known problem?  Should I send-pr it?