Subject: man.conf v. MANPATH
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1995 00:54:51
What does POSIX.2 have to say about how man(1) works?  I'm trying to
eliminate the man.conf vs. MANPATH problem, but I may have to alter
slightly how man.conf works in order to do so.

What I'd like to do is change how sections work.  Any section list
element that consists of a name that does NOT start with '/' replaces
_subdir instead of _default.  The numerical sections in man.conf could
then be replaced with their final directory components, so that
section 1 would be defined by:

1	{cat,man}1

As a result the section argument would still work even though MANPATH
is defined.

Another reason for me wanting to do it this way is because the
duplication of the _default list in the lists for sections 1-8 and 3f
seems wasteful to me.

(Also, I need MANPATH because I like to use Xman.)
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>       PGP 2.6.2 public key signature:
VLSI Design Engineer                  CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B