Subject: Ethernet - problems/best?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1995 10:59:02
Two questions on Ethernet:

- What's the best card for throughput on the i386?  I'm using NE2000 clones,
  and I'm getting abysmal performance.  Since this machine's gonna be
  a firewall in a high-load situation, I need to do better.

- Are there any known problems with DP8390-based drivers (not necessarily
  restrictecd to i386) corrupting received bytes?  I am noticing corrupted
  packets (no CRC errors) received from my Amiga Hydra card.  Experimentation
  reveals what appears to be a shared memory arbitration problem between
  the Amiga and the 8390 as they access the 16K packet buffer RAM.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key