Subject: Re: The HylaFAX "Where do binaries go?" meta-issue
To: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.oz.au>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/1995 15:34:50
[ On Wed, March 15, 1995 at 06:36:38 (+1100), matthew green wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: The HylaFAX "Where do binaries go?" meta-issue
>
>    On the other hand, these really are "transient" files, since
>    they're managed entirely by the subsystem.
>
> so are /etc/master.passwd, /etc/passwd, /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db.
> would you move them in to /var ?  :-)

I see what you mean....  We can't move /etc/passwd though, since it has
hist{er,or}ical precedence.  /etc/master.passwd though really is the
non-transient file -- it's only "managed" by a subsystem utility in the
sense that there's a tool to prevent admins and other tools from
performing simultaneous edits of this file, and in the sense that there
are other tools to edit fields of pre-existing records in this file.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>