Subject: Re: HylaFAX woes (hierarchy questions)
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.blrc.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1995 14:21:03
>>>>> "Chris" == Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> writes:

Chris> umm, the daemons should go in /usr/local/libexec, if they're invoked
Chris> by other programs (e.g. inetd), or /usr/local/sbin, if they're invoked
Chris> from rc.

This is a narrow distinction that I don't completely grasp yet--whether
something belongs in /usr/libexec or in /usr/sbin.

Things like the fax queue daemon (faxq) is only normally going to be
started up once by /etc/rc (which is effectively a program for the
"executed by another program" metric).  What's the key difference that
makes it eligible for an sbin directory ?

In another mail message, you quoted the hier(7) man page about what goes
into /var.  The man page says nothing at all about machine-dependent
config files, which seem to me to definitely belong to /var (/var being
a private area per host).  What distinguishes between data that goes
into /usr/libdata (which is completely empty on my machine, by the way)
and stuff that goes into /var/... ?

Do config files belong under /var/spool/<something>/etc or should they
be in /var/<something>/etc (and put true "spool-like things" in
/var/<something>/spool or /var/spool/<something>)?

I'll be making a hylafax beta100 binary distribution for NetBSD/i386 in
a day or two, and I can fix all these things if folks can offer some
consistent yardstick that's more complete than hier(7).  [Otherwise I'll
use my judgment and probably annoy at least one user]

==John