Subject: Re: HylaFAX woes
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1995 16:25:40
> Didn't look very closely, did you?

I'm not sure if it matters; binaries don't belong in /var/spool.

>The binaries for the backend programs go in /var/spool/fax/bin (like faxsend,
>pagesend, notify ...).  The daemons go in /usr/libexec (faxq and faxgetty) and
>the user interfaces like sendfax, faxstat, faxrm, etc end up in /usr/local/bin.
umm, the daemons should go in /usr/local/libexec, if they're invoked
by other programs (e.g. inetd), or /usr/local/sbin, if they're invoked
from rc.  the 'backend' programs, since they are probably
program-invoked, belong in /usr/local/libexec, as well.

think about this for a minute: say you manage an FTP server for your
department's NetBSD/i386 machines...  You export /usr/local/, so that
local software packages are easily available.  So people who want the
'backend' programs have to get them specially?  no.

executables do not belong in /var.  (Note, however, that i think in
some cases, executables should be looked for in /var...  for instance,
i think that /usr/X11/bin/X should be symlink to /var/X11/X, which
should then be a symlink to the appropriate machine-dependent X
server...  makes a big difference if you want to share X bin trees,
but want to make sure e.g. you only run a mono server on some
machines.)

cgd