Subject: Re: Where can I get a NetBSD/386 kernel
To: None <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Gerard J van der Grinten <Gerard.vdGrinten@wldelft.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1995 08:17:24
It seems to me that the subject: line is from somewhere else....
I wrote something like: Help I am lost.
I am trying to upgrade to -current from the 1.0 release..

> >(unable to build NetBSD-current anymore, too many conflicts)
>
> You must build the pieces in a very specific order.  Here's what
> worked for someone else:
>
> (cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config.new ; make && make install && make cleandir)
> # if you don't do this, config.new of your kernel config file will
> # fail with errors in files.i386.newconf
>
> (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas ; make && make install && make cleandir)
> # if you don't do this, you won't be able to build locore.s, with
> # errors about cpuid instruction not found
>
> (cd /sys/arch/i386/conf ; config.new MYKERNEL)
> (cd /sys/arch/i386/compile/MYKERNEL ; make depend && make)
> # copy  new kernel to /, and boot off it

Done all above and (after converting config ->config.new kernel config file)
had a nice kernel. Booted it as netbsd.new -s just for safety.....

It scans all my devices and starts up /sbin/init (hura!)
Then within the flash of a small time interval (Hi) the kernel tells me:
/sbin/init died , error 13
cannot find init

End of story..

> (cd /usr/src/share/mk ; make install)
> # if you don't do this, you'll get errors building gcc, when it
> # doesn't know how to make the manual pages (don't know how to make gcc.0)
 Much deleted.....

But when someone would like to make a binary snapshot available, it would be
welcome.

Regards, Gerard.
PS, currently in the stage of building the librarys NOPIC so that only /bin and /sbin
binaries get new libs and the "others" keep working...
--
Gerard J van der Grinten           pa0gri@net.pa0gri.ampr.org [44.137.1.1]
Elzenlaan 8                        gerard.vdgrinten@wldelft.nl (temp. qrl)