Subject: Re: rdist vs. sup
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1995 10:29:41
> Especially since minimum theoretical time should be on the order of 88ms
> for uncompressed data (64 bytes for ping / 1.4kB/sec slip line * 2).

Don't forget the headers.   That's an extra 32 bytes (+/-), for a
theoretical ideal time of 134ms.   So there's still 40ms missing -
presumably the time it takes to turn the packet around, plus the
latency of the modem, which is smaller without V.42 but still
significant.

For comparison, a 28.8k modem running full bore should see an ideal
round trip time of 67ms.   If we add in the same fudge constant, it
should be something like 107ms.   170ms or 200ms is very surprising -
there must be something missing.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com