Subject: Re: order of compiling/variables for -current
To: None <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/1995 09:08:40
>>>>> "Greg" == Greg A Woods <woods@kuma.web.net> writes:

Greg> Naturally once all of the above is true, then it's a much
Greg> smaller step to being able to do full cross-platform
Greg> configuration and builds of the entire O/S tree.  (I.e. load the
Greg> source on that blindingly fast DEC Alpha running OSF/1 at the
Greg> office, and build i386 (or any other) binaries with it, even
Greg> though the boss won't let you install NetBSD on the alpha itself
Greg> [and there's gigabytes of disk space, so he'll never notice the
Greg> wee bits of NetBSD source!].)

Although I think Alpha -> 32bit cross compilation might be in
production quality before the NetBSD build environment lends itself to
being easily cross-compiled, it is not that case at the moment.  There
are some unresolved problems doing 32bit compiles on 64bit
environments in GCC.   I just wanted people to know that fact before
they use their Alphas in cross-compilation of critical SW.  There will
certainly be stated in the NEWS file of GCC when this is supposed to
work.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas@appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG	WWW:   Here
Sweden