Subject: Re: order of compiling/variables for -current
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/1995 11:01:26
> > Due to some masochistic compulsion, I've just done this, and these
> > are the steps that I used (on the i386 platform):
>
> Why doesn't the top level Makefile do all of this properly (assuming you
> select the right pseudo-target for it to build)?

Because the set of steps necessary changes every so often, and can be
different on every architecture, mostly.

You'd need a lot of "right pseudo-targets" to get it right for all
ports and all "last updated" dates.  Rather than do this, we say "stay
reasonably current, and read the mailing list archives."

cgd