Subject: Re: Latest CERT advisory on telnet vs. Kerberos
To: None <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1995 09:32:07
Greg A. Woods writes:
> [ On Wed, February 22, 1995 at 16:22:41 (-0500), Chris G Demetriou wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Latest CERT advisory on telnet vs. Kerberos
> >
> > > I just don't get it....  Why is it called "domestic"?
> >
> > because it's restricted to 'current-countly' -- i.e. no foreign.

> Ah, but aren't you assuming in other ways that "domestic" == "USA" (or
> at least "signatories of the COCOM(sp?)", i.e. including Canada, etc.)?

[see below...]

> Why not call a spade a spade?

Because it's a shovel. :)

Seriously though, netbsd.rmit.edu.au:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/domestic
(note the country - Australia) is implemented using a locally written version
of crypt. And because our laws on crypto are like those in the USA (i.e,
people not in Australia can't legally get it), it's not exportable.

That way, if people want to use my machine, they are free to, but they
should follow all of the instructions posted around on various lists that
refer to 'usr/src/domestic' & 'USA' and read it as 'usr/src/domestic' and
'Australia'...

FWIW: When I setup src/domestic, I just mirrored (by hand) all of src/domestic
off sun-lamp _except_ the actual crypt.c & crypt.3 functions (because the
Makefiles were kinda useful...)

--
Luke Mewburn                                                  <lm@werj.com.au>
``Concealment is never as hard as people think, you must understand that. It's