Subject: bad sectors, bad tracks and bad144
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joachim Koenig <joachim@microdesk8.ee.uni-sb.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/1995 10:07:36
I have an old RLL disk connected to an RLL-isa-controller on a i386-machine.
This disk has a lot of bad tracks which are marked bad during format.

I want to install NetBSD-current on it. From what I've read in wd.c about
bad144, it is only capable of redirecting 126 bad sectors to the end of the
disk. Of course, you end up with this table after 5 bad tracks with 26
sectors each, which is not very much in my case.

I could use badsect, which allocates inodes to show to the bad sectors, but
this has some limitations (e.g. inodes may not reside on bad sectors).

So now to my question:
is there an other way to remap full bad tracks which I've overseen? If not
I would consider extending the bad144 code to also remap bad tracks, not
just bad sectors.

Joachim