Subject: Re: A few things about the new audio stuff on '386en
To: Rafal Boni <r-boni@uiuc.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/1995 22:28:06
On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Rafal Boni wrote:

> First of all, a big thank you to John Brezak and company!  The new audio stuff
> seems quite nice and *actually works* for me, something the previous
> incarnation could not claim.

Once I figured out that playing audio on my SB 2.0 from a file over NFS
was the culprit for some obnoxious behavior (the fact that it played at
*all* was thrilling!), I only had one small problem to deal with.  I'm
getting audio played about 25% too fast, more or less.  I've started to
poke around to find out why this might be the case, but in the mean time
I simply feed 8KHz files through sox before going to /dev/audio like so:

	sox file.au -r 10000 -t .au - rate >/dev/audio

Works for me, your mileage may vary, etc.

> 	Once again, kudos to all involved in the re-write!

I heartily second this.  Good job!  I'm ecstatic that I'm able to hear
"You have mail" at the appropriate times. :-)

--scott