Subject: Re: PEOPLE WITHOUT CRYPT(), BEWARE!!!
To: None <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/1995 06:30:16
> Coherent (a unix-like OS for ``IBM compats'') used a version of the
> Enigma rotor machine.

For password hashing?  Many unices and unix-alikes use a (very
watered-down) Engima-style machine for crypt(1), but this is completely
different from crypt(3).

> Although allegedly broken in WWII by several allied countries
> operating autonomously,

Certainly by the British; I don't recall reading about any other Allied
country breaking it independently - which is not to say it didn't
happen, of course.

> it is significantly more difficult to break than XOR by a small key.

Almost anything is significantly more difficult to break than XOR by a
small key.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu