Subject: NetBSD and Netblazers
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@kludge.psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1995 17:58:13
I posted a problem with connections between two NetBSD machines with
a Netblazer inbetween several weeks ago.  Several people responded that
the NetBlazer does bogus VJ header compression.  I have verified this;
it mangles packets with a TCP timestamp.  I will be submitting a bug
report to Telebit about this problem, but I don't expect to get a
fix anytime soon.  As most of our NetBSD machines are behind
14.4 links, the TCP timestamp is not needed.  Does anyone know how I
can turn it off?

I would prefer a userland program to turn it off, but I can deal with
patching a kernel source file.  I did a quick look through the TCP
source but I didn't see anything obvious.

Note that my machines are not doing PPP themselves, so I can't simply
turn it off there.  I could turn the compression off on the Netblazers
but I think that it will be useful for the other machines on the
network (especially the PCs running telnet).

     -Kevin