Subject: Re: scsi tapes
To: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@nirvana.good.com>
From: Callum Gibson <callum@frost.bain.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1995 11:49:31
Mark P. Gooderum writes:
:-)> Could NetBSD do better? (Not only for scsi buses necessarily but on any
:-)> bus that could potentially have devices that are not switched on at
:-)> boot time)
:-)This is also an issue for things like PCMCIA devices...or removable
:-)hardrives, or hot swap hardware (don't laugh, I know of people running
:-)BSDI on Centrum boxes as term servers and routers).

I thought for most devices like this, including scsi, you were supposed to
power down the whole machine before plugging/unplugging things. Certainly,
that's the advice we got regarding our suns in case of you blowing the
fuse on the scsi bus (not that I've ever seen this happen - I think I've
heard of it, though).  (Hot-swap is obviously built for that.)

Callum Gibson                                             callum@bain.oz.au
Fixed Income Division, DB Bain & Co.                          61 2 258 1620
## The opinions presented herein do not represent those of DB Bain & Co ###