Subject: exports, is this a bug or a mistake?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1995 06:13:00
As my home machine draws ever closer to actually being netfed, I'm thinking
that it's time to find out what I've been doing wrong with exports.  I have
been unable to, by any means, specify that any *specific* machine can export
filesystems; any restriction whatsoever denies access to any machine I have
nearby.  I'm trying to use either explicit names or networks; either way,
the nearby machines are not being granted access.

Is there any convenient way to tell mountd to spew messages about *why*
it denies mounting to a given host?  I have tried using local names ('kathy'),
full names ('kathy.solon.com'), IP addresses ('192.129.84.142'), or
networks ('-network 192.129.84 -mask 255.255.255.0').  None of these
work.  (In case it's not obvious, the box I want to be mounting things is
named kathy.solon.com, and is at 192.129.84.142, when she's on the net at
all.)

If I leave the lines blank, or optionally provide a maproot, all the local
hosts can mount filesystems fine.

-s