Subject: Infocom mysterious behavior...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: The Super User <root@solutions.solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1995 21:11:00
This is more on-topic than it sounds.

I recently picked up an infocom text adventure interpreter.  The source
claims to be reasonably portable, and apparently worked on historical BSD
systems.

It compiles easily, and without warnings.  If run with no arguments, or with
invalid ones, it reports errors and exits.

If run with valid arguments, it dumps core.  gdb reports that the error
is at 0x4 in _DYNAMIC ()
This happens even if linked with -static.

Is this a gdb problem, or some mysterious side-effect of this game using
many names with 'page' in them?  Is there any chance that a sane user
program could accidentally hook itself into some part of the dynamic linkage,
or is this some other type of bug?

I'm having this with Feb 4 or so tarballs, all compiled twice, and I can
compile small programs other than this and run them without such problems.
Amiga version of NetBSD.

-seebs